See how prescription costs are driving up insurance rates.
5 Drugs With The Biggest Percent Increases in Cost for BCBSNC and its customers.*
- Alcortin A®: Up 989% Prescribed for fungal skin infections
- Colchicine: Up 668% Prescribed for gout
- Glumetza®: Up 379% Prescribed for diabetes
- Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate: Up 353% Prescribed for malaria, arthritis, lupus
- Pennsaid®: Up 329% Prescribed for pain, migraines, arthritis
- *Increase in cost: 2014-2015
Without a doubt, prescription medicines play a critical role in helping prevent, manage and cure conditions and diseases.
In 2014, more than half a million Americans took medications that cost $50,000 or more—quite a sum considering the median household income was $53,657. 52, 53
What’s more, in the span of a single year — 2013-2014 — the number of patients with medication costs of $100,000 or more almost tripled. Insurance covered a big portion of the costs for these expensive drugs—to the tune of $52 billion.54